Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Mother's Day




This weekend has been filled with wonderful memories, events, and firsts. Today was my first Mother's Day. Due to Carter's late night bout of colic, we missed church because I passed out on the couch at 6:00 a.m. I awoke at 8:00 a.m. fully rested. Isn't it amazing what two hours can do...I used to call that a nap...now it's a full night's sleep. The day started with a gift (custom pedicure) from Carter with the cutest card. Brandon claims that Carter told him what to write and that Brandon translated the message from baby-ese to English. I guess yet again another one of Brandon's amazing talents. We then traveled to Longansport for lunch. Brandon's mom and granny were there along with my mom, dad, grandma, sister, brother-in-law, and nephew. We had a nice leisurely lunch. It was wonderful to get a chance to see the women that I consider to be the greatest mothers in the world. Here's my thoughts on each one:
  • Claudia (my mom)... is the picture of what a nurturing mom looks like. I can't remember a time when Mom wasn't there to comfort me when I fell. She also pushed me to stand again because she knows the value of try, try again. Watching her (and dad) go to college (with two small kids) made me understand the value of an education. Mom's a nurse and I enjoy seeing the compassion she shows her patients. She also uses some of that Grandma Nonnie strength when convincing her patients that they indeed can endure another treatment, another IV, another test. She can cook for 500 people and make it look like she 's cooking for 4. Her cancer diagnosis four years ago made me cherish every day! I spend each day thankful that she is here to help me be a mom. She is not only a wonderful mother and Memaw, she is one of my best friends.
  • Susan (Brandon's mom)...is the picture of strength and shows us daily what raising an amazing son looks like. I admire her honesty and faith. You would be hard pressed to find someone who raised a better son. Susan's kindness, compassion, work ethic, and strength shine through in Brandon. He is the person we see today because of her influence. I am continually thankful that I was brought into this amazing woman's life and family. She knows where to get the best nachos and makes the best toffee. When we were married, Susan wrote me a letter. I read it occasionally as a reminder of how wonderful it is to be a part of her life. I only hope that I can raise Carter with the same values that she raised Brandon.
  • Kara (my sister)...is the picture of a modern day superwoman. She works full time, sells Avon, does charity work, remodels their old farm house all while being the most amazing mother to Riley. He is such a charming, bright little boy. I see in him the determination, wit, and intelligence that Kara exhibited as a little girl. She was a constant problem solver and ornery as the day is long. I am sure that all of the trouble we got into as kids was because of her! ☺ She has grown into an amazing woman. She has a heart as big as Texas...this is evident in her constant generosity. She is always the one to do a fundraiser for a disadvantaged family...whether it be because of medical bills, job cuts, or illness. She is the first one to give to someone else and the last one to give to herself. She is the driving force behind our Relay for Life team. She sees the importance of our work and started my dream of one day finding a cure. She is my best friend!
  • Betty (my grandma)...is the picture of patience and grace. She is a small lady with a big heart. She continues to remind me that faith is the most important thing when raising a child. Her prayers have carried me through some of my darkest days. She has been through the Great Depression and delivered a son while her husband was defending our country during WWII. She knows the value of family and hard work. Some of my fondest childhood memories are from grandma and grandpa's house. Since becoming an adult, our relationship has grown. She thinks that I am doing her a big favor when I come and visit or when we go shopping or to doctors' appointments. What she doesn't realize it that she is giving me the greatest gift by simply being there to visit or take shopping. I learn more from her every time I see her and can't bear to think of the day when our visits will stop. God surely has a front row seat for this special lady, but I hope he leaves her here for me for many more years. I am thankful that she is here to see me be a mom!
  • Fran (Brandon's granny)...is the picture of what a volunteer attitude looks like. She continues to show us the value of helping others. Her volunteer work at the local hospital is humongous with her logging tons of volunteer hours every year. Her collecting items for the church rummage sales has become legendary. She shows spunk as a Red Hat lady and a loving presence as Carter's Granny. Brandon has tons of stories about the times he spent with her and George as a child. He has traveled much of the United States with them on many childhood vacations. I love getting to watch her be a great grandma!
  • There are so many other friends and family members that have shown me what being a great mother is about. Thank you all!

I sit here typing while Carter sighs calmly in his bassinet next to me. Life doesn't get any better than this. Being his mommy is the greatest gift, and I am blessed to have the women I mentioned above guide my journey into motherhood. May God grant you happiness, love, laughter, happiness, and health today and always. Happy Mother's Day!

Pictures: 1) The Davis' 2) All of the mothers at lunch today. Bottom Row: Claudia, Betty, Fran (holding Carter) Top Row: Susan, Lori, Kara 3) The "Lowry" Girls.

No comments: